Happy to be in Hall

Harvey, Herzog elected by Veterans Committee

By SAMANTHA CARR
December 7, 2009

COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. – Two new legends will take the stage in Cooperstown in July to accept their bronze plaque in front of thousands of fans.

The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum will induct its newest members, umpire Doug Harvey and manager Whitey Herzog, along with any BBWAA electees at the Induction Ceremony on July 25, 2010. The two were selected for election by the Veterans Committee on Managers and Umpires at Baseball’s Winter Meetings on Monday morning.

Whitey Herzog (left) and Doug Harvey were elected to the Class of 2010 at the Baseball Hall of Fame by the Veterans Committee.

“I am very touched by this honor. I accept this election to the National Baseball Hall of Fame on behalf of all umpires – from the minor leagues to the major leagues – and for those who umpire at every level,” Harvey said in a statement following news of his election.

“Ten years into my career, my late father said to me that one day, I would realize what I have achieved. When I woke up this morning, and I received the call from Cooperstown, I realized for the first time exactly what that means. My mother tried to stay alive for this day. Unfortunately, she was unable to share in this great honor with my wife, Joy, and me.”

Harvey umpired in the National League for 31 seasons, was a five-time World Series umpire and was named to six All-Star Game crews. He worked 4,670 games during his career and served as a crew chief in 18 of his seasons. He earned 15 of a possible 16 votes, followed by Herzog, who earned 14.

Herzog led the Kansas City Royals to three straight American League West titles from 1976-78 before leading the St. Louis Cardinals to the 1982 World Series title and the 1985 and 1987 NL pennants. He escaped three phone lines in his house ringing off the hook after the news to give a press conference for the Cardinals at Busch Stadium.

“I first thought about the Hall of Fame after I quit managing. I really never, ever as a player, manager or executive gave any thought to the Hall of Fame,” he said.

“It was just in the last few years when I was only missing by a few votes that I thought, maybe I do deserve it.”

The two electees were considered among eight managers and two umpires by the 16-member Committee during meetings held Sunday at Baseball’s Winter Meetings in Indianapolis. The two will be introduced as the newest members of the Baseball Hall of Fame during a Tuesday morning Press Conference at the Baseball Winter Meetings in Indianapolis.

“It took a little while, but I’m elated and rather happy,” he said.

Samantha Carr is the media relations coordinator at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum

National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum

25 Main Street, Cooperstown, NY 13326
Phone: 1-888-HALL-OF-FAME | Fax: 607-547-2044
Email the Hall of Fame

Copyright 2010 National Baseball Hall of Fame