Wishing for Bronze

Roberto Alomar First-Time Candidate for Hall of Fame Plaque

By SAMANTHA CARR

December 10, 2009

COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. -- Roberto Alomar won a record 10 Gold Gloves at second base in 11 years and four Silver Slugger Awards during his major league career.

With all that gold and silver on his trophy rack, Alomar is now hoping for bronze.

Roberto Alomar is one of 26 players on the BBWAA ballot for election to the Class of 2010 at the Baseball Hall of Fame. (National Baseball Hall of Fame Library)

Alomar is one of 26 players on the 2010 Baseball Writers’ Association of America ballot for the Class of 2010 at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. He is making his debut on the BBWAA ballot.

BBWAA members who have at least 10 years of tenure with the organization can vote in the election, and the BBWAA will announce its results on Jan. 6, 2010. Any candidate who receives at least 75 percent of all BBWAA ballots cast will be enshrined in the Hall of Fame as part of the Class of 2010. The Induction Ceremony will be held July 25 in Cooperstown.

Born Feb. 5, 1968 in Ponce, Puerto Rico, baseball ran in Alomar’s blood. His father, Sandy Alomar Sr., was an All-Star second baseman in his 15-year major league career. Like his father, Roberto played second, threw right-handed and switch-hit.

“I saw my dad play, and the way he played is what impacted me,” said Alomar. “He always played hard. He always gave 100 percent, and that’s what I do. I idolize my dad.”

Alomar’s brother, Sandy, Jr., also made it to the big leagues as a catcher. He played for 20 seasons and was a six-time All-Star and 1990 Rookie of the Year.

At 18, Alomar signed with the Padres and won the California League batting title in his second year in the minors with a .346 batting average. By 1988, he was with the parent club, making a splash with his defense and speed and finishing fifth in Rookie of the Year voting. He earned his first All-Star selection in 1990.

Following that season, Alomar was traded to Toronto – where his offense took off. Alomar raised his average over .300, helping the Blue Jays to back-to-back World Series titles in 1992-1993 while finishing in third in the AL batting title race in 1993. He hit a combined .354 in four postseason series in those two championship seasons.

It was in Toronto that he established himself as one of the best second baseman of his era. He won a Gold Glove in each of his five years with the Blue Jays, stole 50-plus bases in two seasons and finished sixth in MVP voting three years in a row.

“Everybody can see the skills on the field,” said teammate Dave Winfield, himself a Hall of Famer. “He’s acrobatic, flamboyant, he’s got his style.”

Following the 1995 season, Alomar signed with the Baltimore Orioles. Forming a double-play combination with Cal Ripken Jr., helped his team get back to the playoffs – advancing to the ALCS in 1996 and 1997. Following the 1998 season, Alomar signed with the Cleveland Indians and played with his brother Sandy for the first time.

“This is like a dream come true,” he said of joining with his brother. “We never thought it was going to happen, but finally it is happening. Not only is it fun in the game, but out of the game, too.”

It was in Cleveland that Alomar had two of his best seasons. In 1999, he hit .323 with 24 homers, 120 RBI and 37 stolen bases. He finished third in MVP voting and led the league in runs scored (138) and sacrifice flies (13). In 2001, he hit .336 with 20 homers, 100 RBI and 30 stolen bases.

Teamed with Omar Vizquel, the double-play combo won three consecutive Gold Gloves together. Only eight shortstop-second baseman duos have won Gold Gloves in the same year. The Indians advanced to the postseason in both 1999 and 2001.

Alomar was traded to the Mets in 2002 before later stops with the White Sox and Diamondbacks. He retired after the 2004 season.

In 17 major league seasons, Alomar tallied 2,724 hits, 210 home runs, 1,134 RBI, a .300 batting average and .984 fielding percentage. He made 12 consecutive All-Star appearances.

Samantha Carr is the media relations coordinator at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum

Connections

Players on the
2010 BBWAA Ballot

The Baseball Writers' Association of America (BBWAA) considers the candidacies of players who have played at least 10 major league seasons and been retired five seasons. Twenty-six players appear on the ballot for the Class of 2010 with results to be announced on January 6.

National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum

25 Main Street, Cooperstown, NY 13326
Phone: 1-888-HALL-OF-FAME | Fax: 607-547-2044
Email the Hall of Fame

Copyright 2010 National Baseball Hall of Fame