Inside Pitch

Jan. 25, 1945: Future Hall of Famer Larry MacPhail, along with Dan Topping and Del Webb, purchases the Yankees

By JONATHAN COE

January 23, 2012

COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. – Among the players, managers, executives and umpires who have been enshrined in baseball's Hall of Fame, it's doubtful that few, if any can match the unique career of Larry MacPhail.

MacPhail was a baseball innovator who introduced night baseball and airline travel to the game, working with the Reds in the 1930s before moving to the Dodgers. But 67 years ago this week – on Jan. 25, 1945 – MacPhail, along with two partners, Dan Topping and Del Webb, pulled off a coup by acquiring the Yankees from the estate of Jacob Ruppert.

Larry MacPhail was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1978. (National Baseball Hall of Fame Library)

Ruppert died in 1939, and by mid-1944 the bankers who were executors of the estate decided to sell the ballclub.

During World War II, MacPhail relinquished his post as head of the Dodgers to become an Army colonel, and in the course of his travels had encountered John Hertz, the Chicago taxicab tycoon.

"Why don't you buy the Yankees?" Hertz asked MacPhail.

"I don't have that kind of money," MacPhail shrugged. "I can take care of that," Hertz replied. "Go to New York and make a deal."

MacPhail met with the bankers, who said, "I don't like to be impertinent Larry, but do you have the money?"

MacPhail suggested he phone the Lehman Brothers investment bankers, and the response to the call was, "We will underwrite any contract Mr. MacPhail signs."

That satisfied everyone, and MacPhail was scheduled to return in a few days to close the deal. Meanwhile, he phoned Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis to obtain approval. But Landis ruled that the sale would not be allowed.

About the same time, the bankers notified MacPhail that litigation over the Ruppert estate would delay the ballclub sale.

Almost a year went by before MacPhail received word, while he was in Paris, that the New York bankers wanted to see him. When he returned from abroad, he walked into the conference room and immediately signed papers for the club.

As MacPhail recalls, he walked around the corner and said to himself: "I own the Yankees and I have no idea how I'm going to pay for them."

Just then, the door opened and a Marine captain entered. It was Dan Topping, who was home on leave from the Pacific. MacPhail knew him from when they served in the military; Dan had told Larry that if he returned to baseball, he would like to be his partner.

Topping hadn't changed his mind, but the $2.8 million needed was beyond his cash flow at the moment. They were referred to a man named Del Webb, a contractor in Phoenix and a former ballplayer.

A few days after MacPhail and Topping contacted Webb, the necessary funds had been transferred. And this time, Landis approved.

MacPhail's tenure in Yankee Stadium was brief and profitable. In October 1947 – following the Yankees' first World Series victory in four years – MacPhail sold his shares in the Yankees in Topping and Webb for $1.75 million.

MacPhail was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1978.

Jonathan Coe was the fall 2011 Public Relations intern for the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum

National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum

25 Main Street, Cooperstown, NY 13326
Phone: 1-888-HALL-OF-FAME | Fax: 607-547-2044 | Email the Hall of Fame
Privacy Statement/Your California Privacy Rights
Terms of Use 
Like us on Facebook       Follow us on Twitter      Subscribe to us on YouTube     Connect with us on LinkedIn